I can’t believe I haven’t blogged this recipe before. It’s one of my fall/winter favorites that freezes and reheats in the microwave perfectly.
I would never say that sloppy joe’s were a favorite of mine, but this recipe is very unique. There’s a ton of veggies snuck in there, so this is great for kids or if you’re looking for a healthier option of the classic. With a variety of textures and flavors, you’ve never had sloppy joe’s like these before. In fact, I also enjoy eating this like chili, with fritos, straight from the bowl. No matter how you choose to enjoy this recipe, I hope it becomes one of your favorites, too.
I will warn you…there’s a lot of chopping ahead. You can do it!
***Also, this is a massive recipe, one for us to eat on for a couple days and then freeze a bunch for later. Feel free to halve this recipe!
-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
-4 lbs ground meat (I do half turkey, half chuck….do what you love)
-2 yellow onions
-6 bell peppers (the more colors, the prettier it is)
-2 poblano chilis
-6 celery stalks
-8 tablespoons minced garlic, or 8 cloves
-1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
-2 tablespoons chili powder
-1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper
-2.5 cups of your favorite bbq sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray’s)
-1/2 cup ketchup
-2 tablespoons dijon mustard
-4 teaspoons Worcestershire
-2 tablespoons honey
-2 tablespoons brown sugar
-2 tablespoons agave
-1/2 cup water
-4 teaspoons red wine vinegar (or apple cider)
-1 cup cilantro (or any other favorite herb, such as parsley)
1. Chop all the veggies…you can skip arm day for this.
2. In a LARGE bowl, add your EVOO, all ground meat and all chopped veggies minus the garlic and cilantro. Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the meat is cooked.
3. Add the garlic, stir, and cook for another couple minutes.
4. Add the cajun seasoning, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir well.
5. Add the bbq, ketchup, dijon, water, honey, agave, brown sugar, and
Worcestershire. Stir until it comes to a light boil, then turn the heat down to medium low. Let it cook for 15 minutes.
6. Add the red wine vinegar and cilantro. Let it cook another 15 minutes.
7. Turn the heat off and let it cool for 15 minutes.
8. Enjoy on a toasted bun or however you like!