Y’all….You need to make this and eat it. It is so delicious! For the past 5 months, I have made this dish once a week because Drew and I keep craving it. Plus, it is easy to make and the leftovers only get better.
It’s roasted butternut squash (I’ve also tried it with delicata and acorn squash, those work great as well) with garlic, pre-cooked chicken, and toasted chopped pecans in a brown butter sage sauce. It is so good. Here’s how to make it:
1 butternut squash (or 2 acorn squashes or 2 delicata squashes)
~7 garlic cloves
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
1 teaspoon dried sage
3/4 cup chopped pecans
2 cooked chicken breasts
salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Peel and cut squash into bite-size chunks (about 1 inch).
3. Peel and slice garlic cloves into small slices (do not mince).
4. Add 3 tablespoons of EVOO, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper to squash and garlic and stir to coat evenly. Lay on a cookie sheet in a single layer and cook for 30 minutes in preheated oven. Halfway through, flip the squash to cook evenly.
5. In a large saucepan, cook 1 stick butter, 3/4 cup pecans, and 1 teaspoon dried sage over medium heat, stirring occassionally, until butter is browned. (About 10 minutes)
6. Take precooked chicken (a rotisserie chicken or grilled chicken breasts, for example) and cut into bite-size pieces.
7. Add the squash and garlic as well as the chicken to the sauce, stir, and enjoy!