When I read a recipe that is labelled “vegan”, I automatically ignore it. Because, let’s face it, vegan foods I have tried are usually pretty blah. Trust me, you want to read about this one.
My besties, Cristianna and Lindsay, told me about this dish. I never tried their version, as they included cheese, but tried my own recipe. Surprisingly, this was an extremely simple recipe, that truly is delicious, and after looking over my ingredients, I realized it is vegan. Cool! And there is no gluten. Double cool!
This hearty vegetable casserole is very flavorful and very filling. If I’m trying to watch my weight, I always make this to eat throughout the week. But then again, I have made it for Christmas dinner as well. It is very versatile! And did I mention easy? Here are the details below.
Here’s the recipe video:
-3 large sweet potatoes
-2 cans black beans
-1 can whole kernel corn
-1/2 yellow onion, chopped
-1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
-3 tablespoons minced garlic
-2 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
-1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
-1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
-1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1. Peel sweet potatoes and chop into same-sized pieces. Place into
about 10 cups of water, with 1 tablespoon salt, and boil for at least
20 minutes. Once they are fork-tender, they are ready.
2. While potatoes are boiling, prepare other ingredients and place in
-rinse cans of beans and corn
-add onion, garlic, and cilantro
3. Once potatoes are done, drain and place them into a very large
bowl. Mash them until smoothe.
4. Add remaining salt, pepper, chipotle powder, and paprika. Stir.
5. Add all vegatables to the potatoes and stir until well-mixed.
6. Spray an oven-safe dish and add the casserole. Cook at 350
degrees for 20 minutes.
7. Add more cilantro on the top when serving, if you like cilantro.