As of today, we’ve been “social distancing” here in Arkansas for almost a month now. Personally, all I want to eat is comfort food! I also don’t want to keep packing on the “Corona 15”.
So, here’s a recipe that helps be kill two birds with one stone: squash casserole, just like Dixie Cafe used to make, but healthier without giving up on flavor. It truly is a great comfort food and brings me back to my childhood!
This easy recipe is one of my all-time favorite side dishes for any time of year and it is easy to tweek and make it your own. Here’s how to make this very comforting dish:
6-7 medium yellow squashes
1 yellow onion
1-2 garlic cloves (optional)
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter
1 1/4 dried Italian breadcrumbs
salt and pepper
1. Wash the squash! Then, cut it into even pieces for even cooking.
2. Boil the squash, with 1 teaspoon salt, for about 20 minutes, or until very fork-tender. Once done, drain completely.
3. Finely chop onion and mince garlic.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine squash, onion, garlic, butter, whisked eggs, and 1 cup breadcrumbs.
5. Place in greased baking dish and cover the top evenly with remainder of breadcrumbs, or more if you like a thicker crust.