One of everyone’s favorites and my go-to dessert is my almond bars. I tasted a treat like this while in high school from a catering company and started working on getting that recipe figured out. My final product is a little better than the original, if I say so myself. =) Here’s the recipe!
*These also freeze beautifully. I usually just freeze any bars left over from an event and thaw them out for the next one for 30 minutes, and they still taste fresh.
-2 sticks unsalted butter
-2 cups sugar (plus 2-3 tablespoons)
-2 cups sifted flour
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-2 tablespoons imitation almond extract
-1/4-1/2 cup slivered almonds
1. Melt butter ( I use the microwave) and add the sugar and beat with a hand mixer until smooth.
2. Add 1 egg at a time, and beat with hand mixer until all are fully mixed.
3. Add 1 cup of sifted flour at a time and slowly beat until well mixed.
4. Add salt and almond extract (imitation seems to be more flavorful and cheaper).
5. Spray a baking dish (I use a 9×9 brownie dish) and spread batter. Place slivered almonds on the top and then sprinkle extra sugar all over the top.
6. Cook for 40-45 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 degrees.